Pancakes are cool, but give me waffles any day…any excuse and I’m there. Seriously. Fluffy, golden, pillowy waffles topped with a pat of melting butter and drizzled with the sweetest maple syrup…can anything be better? Waffles for breakfast, for snack, for dessert (with ice cream), for dinner. Wait…dinner? Yes!
A well-made chicken and waffle dish is a glorious thing. Maybe you’ve seen this dish on a menu in the American South…it’s supposed to be soul food, right? The dish’s long and winding history places the first recipes in Pennsylvania Dutch country a few hundred years ago (around the 1600’s). Next found by historians in Harlem, New York in the 1920’s, the dish became popular among late night musicians who gathered together after their gigs at hours too late for dinner and too early for breakfast. The dish spread as far west as possible to Los Angeles, home to celebrity-owned restaurants. And today, you’ll find it across the country in chain establishments, sought out religiously by chicken and waffle connoisseurs.
Pull together this super flavorful, from-scratch, fried chicken recipe and your favorite waffle recipe, and you have the makings of a perfect dish. Top your waffle with crispy fried chicken and serve with pure maple syrup. The savory and the sweet come together in the first bite, and it is heaven.
This recipe is perfect both as-is, and can be made with a one-for-one substitution of gluten-free flour. Use your own favorite waffle mix, hand made or boxed.
Time to pull out the waffle iron and all the spices…
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c milk, plus more as needed
- 2 c flour
- 2/3 T salt
- 1/2 T thyme
- 1/2 T basil
- 1/3 T oregano
- 1 T celery salt
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 T black pepper
- 1 T dried mustard
- 3 T paprika
- 1 t garlic salt
- 1 T garlic garni, or another garlic seasoning mix
- 2 T white pepper
- Enough vegetable oil to fill 2″ in a heavy bottom pot
- Waffle mix
- The night before making this recipe, mix 1 c milk plus 1 t apple cider together in a flat casserole dish. Place chicken tenders into dish, and turn over, coating all sides. Cover and let sit overnight.
- Mix together 1/2 c flour plus all remaining dry ingredients. Stir in large bowl, ensuring all is incorporated.
- Mix the eggs together in a flat dish. Place containers on the counter in this order: dish containing the overnight-soaked chicken, flat dish with fork-beaten eggs, bowl with flour-spice mixture.
- Heat oil to 350 F.
- One at a time, dip chicken pieces into flour mixture, egg, and back into flour mixture. Fry chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towls.
- Make waffles using waffle iron according to package or recipe directions.
- Serve with chicken on top of waffles, and the best pure maple syrup you can find.